As we were checking in, the agent suddenly said to Blair... "I can't let you go." We laughed, and then she told us that she was serious. My heart truly sank. Apparently you have to have a 90 day buffer on the expiration date on your passport to travel to Europe. Blair's passport was set to expire at the end of the month, and so we thought we were good to go! What is the point of an expiration date if you actually can't use it until that day?? It was the most horrific moment. I was having a total breakdown, crying my eyes out, while Blair and my dad tried to work out some sort of miracle plan to get us to Europe somehow. What it boiled down to, is that we had to get to a passport agency. They are found in all the major cities. After a crazy scene at the airport, we walked away with a flight to LA to get Blair's passport fixed, and a flight to Rome on Wednesday. That was the best solution at that point. And of course I was staying with him. There was no way I could continue to Rome without him. I would have been miserable, and worried sick. We went back to the train to head home, while my family headed on to their plane. It was horrible. I basically cried (out of stess) the entire day. The idea of going to LA seemed so overwhelming and time consuming. Once we got home, and calmed down.. We started thinking through the logistics. Why would we fly west, when we needed to fly out of JFK to get to Rome. After searching, talking to people who have been in similar situations, googling, reading reviews, etc. we decided that it would be a better idea to head to NYC to that passport agency to work out this whole debacle. Once we got everything sorted out, re-booked, and confirmed I actually started to feel calm. I 100% credit this feeling to the spirit. I also know that it was the Holy Ghost promoting us to go to NYC.
It saves us so much time, and it makes much better sense. It saves us an entire day, and we can get to Rome in time to explore for a day and a half before we head to Cinque Terre. Luckily my friend Kylee lives in NYC and gladly said that we could crash at her place. As we were boarding our flight to JFK, that had a connection in Atlanta, they called our names over the intercom. My heart dropped. She asked us if we would like to go on the direct flight that would be leaving in about 45 minutes. Of course we said yes! And then she told us she would be putting us in FIRST CLASS. I about died. I actually started crying! Haha. She then told us to hang tight for a couple more minutes. We waited, and then she walked up to us and handed us two $400 vouchers for technically "buying us off the flight." Again, I sat stunned! I even hugged the gate agent. This is when it was confirmed to me that miracles were happening and that our luck was turning around.
I just feel like there have already been miracles and glimmers of hope in this unsettling start to our trip. I know there are lessons to be learned, and I am a huge believer that all things happen for a reason and that there is no such thing as chance. So, long story short, we made it to NYC and stayed at Scott and Kylee's. They were so nice to let us crash! That night we want to dinner with them, and then we wandered over to 30 Rock and to a Times Square. We woke up bright and early and were at the passport office by 5:40. We waited in line until 7:30 when they opened the door. We quickly were though the line and out the door by 8:30. They told us to come back and pick it up between 10-4. We guessed it could potentially be done by 11. We went and wandered through the new World Trade Center park. It was gorgeous. It's an amazing place. Then we wandered around Battery Park city, and the running trail by the Hudson. After that we grabbed lunch right by Trinity Church and then headed back up to the passport office. Web we got there there was a massive line around the building. We were dying! Luckily not too much longer they said that anyone picking up could cut to the front of the line. Yay! We went in, Blair grabbed his passport, and we were on the way! It was such a miracle. We were in shock the whole way back to Scott and Kylee's apartment. IT WORKED! We got his passport and we were on our way!! We got showered, relaxed for bit, and then we hopped on the plane.
Holy cow, what a stressful few days. Our hearts were pounding like crazy while we were waiting that morning at the passport office. We were about 10th in line. I was truly praying the entire time. Once we were checked into the airport, and boarded our plane.. We knew we could really celebrate!! We were so relived and happy.
I basically slept the entire flight, and so did Blair. I think our bodies were on the verge of crashing and we really needed our sleep. Although we had a rough start, everything worked out as smoothly and quickly as possible. We are so grateful, and humbled! What a miracle. Next stop.... ROME!















No comments:
Post a Comment