April 11, 2011

bye bye newsroom!

I am so grateful for my decision to study Communications, focusing on broadcast journalism.
A few of the graduates...
I had my last day in the newsroom last Friday....
and it was definitely bitter sweet!
Even though there have been times when I thought I would never want to come back to that room,
it has also been a safe haven for me through out college.
It is a place full of wonderful memories,
and it has basically been my second home the last three years.
I love that I can always count on seeing a friendly face,
having a good chat with one of my professors,
or working hard on whatever project was at hand.
I have learned more in the newsroom than I ever thought imaginable.
My mom, Blair, grandma, and sis came and watched my last show!
I have learned amazing things, and grown immensely because of my fellow students and my incredible professors.
I feel like we have all been through a lot together:
-We survived 325 as reporters
(even though there were times I didn't think I was going to make it)
-We did internships locally
-We went to NYC where Dateline, Fox, and the Today Show got a little taste of what us Mormon girls were all about!


-We were producers for our news show
-We created a documentary based in Belize
-We anchored
-And we made great memories all along the way.
I can honestly say that the love for my program probably comes from the fact that I love all my broadcast friends so much!
Seriously, I don't know what I would do without Karly!
I have loved every aspect of my program...
but I think anchoring was my favorite!
I will definitely miss anchoring Coog Tube every Friday.
It has been such a great experience!
The Friday crew is amazing,
and we always had a blast!
I feel like I should give a little shout out to a few men who have taught me everything I know about broadcast journalism.
(in no particular order)
Brother Curtis:
 This man is the heart and soul of the newsroom. He has taught me to perform under deadlines and pressure, and I can certainly give him credit for teaching me how to write, and write well. He is the greatest!
Brother Walz: 
We always joke that if Brother Walz could adopt us, we would die to be his daughters. He loves his students more than any professor I know. I have appreciated his genuine interest in my success, and I learned how to perform on camera because of this amazing man!
Brother Green:
I don't think I could have made it through this program without Brother Green. Every time I had a computer malfunction, didn't know how to edit something, or had a crazy camera issue... I knew who I could call. He always has an answer for everything. I have learned so much from just watching him magically edit on avid. He is truly remarkable!
Brother Johnson:
I think Brother Johnson taught most of my classes, and I am certainly grateful he did. He is so kind and thoughtful, and has a true concern for his students. He has helped me down the reporting and producing roads, and we share a love for sports! I think that has always been our greatest common interest!
I am going to miss everyone very badly!
Friends and professors alike.
I honestly can't imagine life without BYU and broadcasting.
But like they say--
 At the end of one road, begins another....
So here is to the next great adventure!
Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Nicole! Your blog is DARLING. And I love this post... You summed everything up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok I sent you an invite to our blog- let me know if you don't get it.
    p.s. I love your conference post and how Charlotte's belly is hanging out in almost every picture of her! haha Gotta love it. Hope you don't mind if I steal a bunch of those pictures for my blog too! Oh and by the way do you have the one of the whole group that I am in? If you do woud you mind emailing it to me? Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete